MY RESPONSE TO A MEDICAL COLLEAGUE 1998

After my retirement from medicine,  psychiatry,  I attend and gave classes to a group of elders at the University of Seniors at University of Minnesota, Duluth.   At one such class:  ATHEISM, IS IT FOR YOU,  a physician colleague our sectarian medical facility accosted me to which I responded in writing to him as follows:


At the intermission of class in ethics you said that I was, in your opinion,  "a malignant, viscous atheist or agnostic"

I disagree with the adjectives but you certainly may have your opinion.

As for the nouns, I am properly described as a freethinker.  We are of the tradition of Jefferson, Madison, Washington, Edison and Mark Twain, etc.

Using experience, science and reason (in place of superstition, religion and sheep like following of tradition) is an enormous help in approaching ethical matters.

I am always happy to discuss this; just phone me.

Bill van Druten


HE NEVER DID

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Devotees